- Sony RX100 VII, RX100 VI Installation Instructions & Important Tips
- One of the Best Accessories for the Sony RX100 VI - a Filter Adapter by Lensmate
- Sony RX100 Series Comparision
Now you can add filters to your Sony RX100 VII or RX100 VI with no vignetting through out the entire focal range.
Note that our current Quick Change Part 2 will also fit the new RX100 VII or RX100 VI, and the filter size will still be 52mm.
Using the Lensmate Quick-Change Filter Adapter kit, only the tiny receiver stays on the camera (it adds only 3mm to the depth of the camera). The filter/filter holder assembly bayonets onto the receiver for quick changes without having to thread the filter on and off. The filter holder is retained by a low tension locking system, so very little torque is applied to the lens barrel when attaching and detaching it.
There is no chance of flash blockage at any focal length (with the filter holder removed), since the receiver is smaller in diameter than the end of the lens barrel. It attaches to the camera using a 3M dual-sided adhesive film which holds tenaciously yet is easy to remove cleanly and safely when desired.
We designed the system so that the filter remains in the filter holder and is attached/detached as an assembly. The filter holder bayonets onto camera with less than 90 of rotation to the locked position.
The low tension locking system assures that the lens barrel won't be harmed by over-enthusiastic tightening (or loosening) of the filter. The ability to quickly change the filter without having to thread/unthread should appeal to filter users. You'll find that you're more likely to use your filters when they can be mounted and removed this easily.
The Sony RX100 VI Quick Change Filter Adapter Kit 52mm is comprised of the following:
- How much does the Lensmate RX100 VII, RX100 VI Filter adapter weigh?
The combined weight of the receiver and filter holder is about 3 grams. A thin 52mm polarizer weighs about 15 grams for a combined weight of 18 grams. With the vented hood added, total weight is 30 grams.
- Will the camera be as "pocketable" with the RX100 VII, RX100 VI Filter adapter added?
You'd probably not even notice the difference - the receiver itself adds only 3mm or 1/8" to the camera.
- I am going to a hot and humid climate, is the adhesive on the part that stays on the camera still going to hold?
Yes, the adhesive is good to at least 200 deg F (~93 deg C). Humidity should not be a factor. If you want to read more about the adhesive it's 3M 9731.
- Can I attach a conversion lens with the adapter?
We recommend attaching only 52mm filters or macro lenses to the RX100 VII, RX100 VI as a conversion lens weight could damage the quick change system or or put undue pressure on the cameras zoom lens.
- Will using the Lensmate RX100 VII, RX100 VI filter adapter void my warranty?
If you need to send the camera in for service, just remove the receiver. It will come off cleanly with no residue left on the camera.
- Can I reattach the filter receiver after removing it?
We don't recommend it - the adhesive is usually compromised and won't have the bond strength it had originally - so it would need to be replaced.
Will the receiver on the camera lens affect the built in lens cover?
No, the RX100 VII, RX100 VI receiver does not affect the automatic lens cover in any way.
- Can I use more than one filter at a time?
You can stack 2 ND filters of normal depth, or one normal depth polarizer + ND filter with no vignetting.
- I saw on the internet someone had trouble with the B&W XS-Pro circular polarizer and the B&W XS-Pro ND Vario Nano Filter and the Quick Change Filter Adapter.
For some reason the housing on the B+W XS-Pro series filters is different than other brands, in that the back piece of glass, that does not move, is set closer to the threads on the backside. Our bayonet mount on Part 2 the actual filter holder uses tiny tabs, the B&W glass being set back in the housing is getting contact. The work around is to use a UV filter or a 52mm - 52mm step ring to screw the B&W XS-Pro filter to, so it's shallow backside has enough room.
We have been selling our custom Quick Change Filter adapter Kit design for about 9 years now, on many different camera models, and since this single B&W XS-Pro series is the exception to all standard filters that do fit - we feel the workaround is acceptable.
- Will the quick change affect the built in flash? The RX100 VII, RX100 VI has a much longer focal length than previous models - 200mm vs 70mm. This requires in an additional lens barrel section which is smaller in diameter than before, also having less surface area around the lens. Since the ID of the receiver cant be made smaller without vignetting occurring, its outer diameter is slightly larger than the lens barrel, which in some circumstances shows a small amount of flash blockage with Part 1 on the camera. Shown are samples at 24mm and 28mm. Of course at longer focal lengths there is no flash blockage.
Can I use Part 2 of the RX100 VII, RX100 VI with your prior Quick Change System RX100 VA, RX100 IV, RX100 III, RX100 II, RX100 ?
- Yes you may use the Sony fitted case. To close the case you will need to remove Part 2 and whatever filter you might have attached, leaving Part 1 on the camera.
Sony RX100 VII, RX100 VI Installation Instructions
We recommend attaching and detaching filters from the filter holder when it's off the camera. In fact, you can't unscrew the filter from the filter holder on the camera because it will just remove the filter/ holder assembly as it was designed to do. Don't over tighten the filter - it requires little force to stay attached to the holder.
If you use a snug fitting bag or case, we recommend removing the filter holder/filter assembly before stowing the camera. If you do leave it on, be sure to check that the filter holder is still in the locked position when you use it again.
Some polarizers rotate with enough friction to remove the filter holder assembly when rotated in the direction of removal. If this happens, rotate the polarizer in the direction of attachment only.
If you use a wrist strap, be aware that jostling can dislodge the filter holder from the camera.
Removing the Lensmate RX100 VII, RX100 VI Quick-change receiver from the camera
- Don't turn the camera on, just remove the battery so you don't accidentally power up the camera. Lay the camera on its back. Let the thread of the removal tool find the space between the receiver and the end of the lens. Pull down and across - it should easily separate the two.
- Don't reuse the same adhesive once removed as it's probably been compromised in the removal process.
The Sony RX100 VII, RX100 VI Quick Change Filter Adapter Kit 52mm by Lensmate is a 2 Part system designed specifically for the Sony RX100 VII, RX100 VI. This system allows the use of any standard 52mm filter with no vignetting throughout the entire focal range.
There are a couple of other 3rd party filter adapters available for the RX100 VI but they only have a single Part that adheres to the camera with a threaded front. Every time you screw or unscrew your filter it will put undue stress on the adhesive - which will fail with use.
The beauty of the Lensmate Quick Change Filter Adapter System is:
- our compact receiver (Part 1) stays on the camera all the time.
- the actually filter holder (Part 2) has a bayonet mount on the back side and a threaded 52mm mount on the front.
- Since you always screw and unscrew your 52mm filter to Part 2 off the camera, then bayonet to Part 1 - there is no stress put on the 3M adhesive.
- only takes a 1/4 turn to bayonet to Part 1.
- the 2 parts fit inside each other only adding 1/8 of an inch.
To order this product and other accessories for the RX100 VI click here.
The table below is put together by Photography Life showing each iteration of the Sony RX100 cameras, along with their key specifications. Please note that the superior features are in darker blue, while the key missing features are marked in light red.
See full review here.
We Also Recommend
Sony RX100 VII, RX100 VI Quick Change Filter Adapter Kit 52mm by Lensmate + Hoya 3 piece Digital Filter Kit With Case
Larmor (GGS) Sony A7II/A7III (also fits RX100 VII, VI, VA, V, IV, III, II & 1 ) LCD Protector Ultra Thin Optical Glass