We realize that the Sony ZV1 has a built in 2 stop ND filter, but you may want to add a polarizer or an extra ND filter depending on your lighting or subject situation. With the Sony ZV1 Quick Change Filter Adapter Kit - 52mm you may add any standard 52mm filter with no vignetting throughout the entire focal range.
Lensmate offers this Quick Change System, so you can have multiple Part 2's with filters attached ready to swap out in the field. No screwing and unscrewing filters, just bayonet Part 2 to Part 1 with a 1/4 turn.
The Sony ZV1 Quick Change Filter Adapter Kit 52mm is comprised of the following:
- The receiver with custom 3M adhesive ring (Part 1- stays on the camera)
- The filter holder (Part 2)
- 52mm clip in style lens cap with tether.
- A hinged lid container for the filter/filter holder/lens cap assembly for convenient storage.
- Safe removal device.
- Custom Install tool to make centering Part 1 easy.
Sony ZV-1 Installation Instructions
The video below is showing the Sony RX100 VI, but the installation is identical for the Sony ZV1 - it is just the install tool that is slightly different in diameter.
We recommend attaching and detaching filters from the filter holder when it's off the camera. In fact, you can't unscrew the filter from the filter holder on the camera because it will just remove the filter/ holder assembly as it was designed to do. Don't over tighten the filter - it requires little force to stay attached to the holder.
If you use a snug fitting bag or case, we recommend removing the filter holder/filter assembly before stowing the camera. If you do leave it on, be sure to check that the filter holder is still in the locked position when you use it again.
Some polarizers rotate with enough friction to remove the filter holder assembly when rotated in the direction of removal. If this happens, rotate the polarizer in the direction of attachment only.
If you use a wrist strap, be aware that jostling can dislodge the filter holder from the camera.
Removing the Sony ZV1 Quick-change receiver from the camera
- Don't turn the camera on, just remove the battery so you don't accidentally power up the camera. Lay the camera on its back. Let the thread of the removal tool find the space between the receiver and the end of the lens. Pull down and across - it should easily separate the two.
- Don't reuse the same adhesive once removed as it's probably been compromised in the removal process.
- How much does the Lensmate - Sony ZV1 Filter adapter weigh?
The combined weight of the receiver and filter holder is about 3 grams. A thin 52mm polarizer weighs about 15 grams for a combined weight of 18 grams. With the vented hood added, total weight is 30 grams.
- Will the camera be as "pocketable" with the ZV1 Filter adapter added?
You'd probably not even notice the difference - the receiver itself adds only 3mm or 1/8" to the camera.
- I am going to a hot and humid climate, is the adhesive on the part that stays on the camera still going to hold?
Yes, the adhesive is good to at least 200 deg F (~93 deg C). Humidity should not be a factor. If you want to read more about the adhesive it's 3M 9731.
- Can I attach a conversion lens with the adapter?
We recommend attaching only 52mm filters or macro lenses to the ZV1 as a conversion lens weight could damage the quick change system or or put undue pressure on the cameras zoom lens.
- Will using the Lensmate - Sony ZV1 filter adapter void my warranty?
If you need to send the camera in for service, just remove the receiver. It will come off cleanly with no residue left on the camera.
- Can I reattach the filter receiver after removing it?
We don't recommend it - the adhesive is usually compromised and won't have the bond strength it had originally - so it would need to be replaced.
Will the receiver on the camera lens affect the built in lens cover?
No, the ZV1 receiver does not affect the automatic lens cover in any way.
- Can I use more than one filter at a time?
You can stack 2 ND filters of normal depth, or one normal depth polarizer + ND filter with no vignetting.
- I saw on the internet someone had trouble with the B&W XS-Pro circular polarizer and the B&W XS-Pro ND Vario Nano Filter and the Quick Change Filter Adapter.
For some reason the housing on the B+W XS-Pro series filters is different than other brands, in that the back piece of glass, that does not move, is set closer to the threads on the backside. Our bayonet mount on Part 2 the actual filter holder uses tiny tabs, the B&W glass being set back in the housing is getting contact. The work around is to use a UV filter or a 52mm - 52mm step ring to screw the B&W XS-Pro filter to, so it's shallow backside has enough room.
We have been selling our custom Quick Change Filter adapter Kit design for about 9 years now, on many different camera models, and since this single B&W XS-Pro series is the exception to all standard filters that do fit - we feel the workaround is acceptable.
We Also Recommend
Larmor (GGS) Sony A7II/A7III (also fits RX100 VII, VI, VA, V, IV, III, II & 1 ) LCD Protector Ultra Thin Optical Glass